Home Forums SEAMEO INNOTECH “Right Click” Podcast Series Benefits of Digital Technology

• Benefits of Digital Technology

Miss Maria Melizza Tan enumerated the benefits of Digital technology and the internet. It provides a host of opportunities for learning, creativity and innovation and it makes our lives more efficient, a bit easier because we can do things a lot more quickly (we can travel virtually, do e-commerce, learn how to code, learn new language, join interest groups and others).

It is indeed true because based on my experience most ALS teachers utilize the Digital Technology and the internet in preparation of their learning plan to enhance the learning experiences of our learners. As we all know, ALS K to 12 BEC is new in the field and we lack printed resources for the conduct of the teaching-learning process. The Department in collaboration with the stakeholders developed and provided online resources that can be accessed and used by our teachers. Our Region and the Division Offices initiated and conducted training to capacitate ALS teachers on how to utilize different online platforms, tools, applications, and programs available to apply blended learning as an approach during this time of pandemic.

What struck me the most is that the benefits are always there but as teachers we need to maximize it for our Learners. In preparation of our learning plan, we must answer these questions; (1) Why do we want to use ICT? and (2) How do we want to use it? Because it is very important that we prepare our plan in reflective and creative manner where ICT has to have a value when we put it into learning activity or learning design.

In order to do this, we need to be a lifelong learner… We need to explore and explore. Be a model to our ALS Learners. Because ICT keeps on changing, keeps on progressing, keeps on giving us new things to do, it gives us potential, it gives us options, it gives us so many avenues to explore. It could be an eye opener to all of us especially those teachers who are digital migrants who are resistant to changes.

• Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of weslytayag
    weslytayag
    Participant

Can we also conclude that the time spent in digital technology is directly proportional to that of its benefits.. meaning, the more time we spent in digital technology, the more benefits we can get?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of weslytayag weslytayag.

Sir Wesly Tayag, It could probably true because we will know more when we give more time to explore. But make sure to follow the appropriate time exposure using the modern technologies. Our health is also our priority.

Profile photo of osias-andus
      osias-andus
      Participant

Constant practice makes perfect. Even in using in our own laptops or desktops or any media, if we lack the ability to explore we only had a limited knowledge in using the technology. It is hard to appreciate the beauty of the platform if we had not even try to use it.

Absolutely Sir! Let’s continue to explore and help our co- ALS implementers do what we do. Be a model!

Profile photo of cezcruz
        cezcruz
        Participant

That’s true Sir Osias, still practice makes perfect and victory loves preparation. We want our learners to be the best that they can be 🙂

weslytayag
    Participant

Allow me to share with you my insights on how digital technology helps us in the field of education,,

As we embrace the new normal in education where there is no face to face interaction, unless vaccine is available, education amidst this pandemic is really a game changer in the academe.  From the traditional actual teaching, CoViD19 opens variety of modalities to the learners making our education healthier and more diverse.

Since situation urges us to quickly shift to different learning delivery models, and as technology continues to improve, platform tools also evolve based on the need of the netizen and continuously add special features suited for an engaging online session. Now, aside from introducing video conferencing tools like Google Meet, Zoom and Microsoft Teams, other tools are now being presented to make the learning engaging, fun and most of all, student centered. These tools have special features to open opportunity for interaction, they provide on-time responses among students and can immediately give feedbacks from the teachers. Some of these are Mentimeter, Quizizz, Kahoot and the Socrative. Another one that makes the online session more exciting on the part of learners is digitizing all actual activities conducted that are convertible and be done in online format.

As we continue to advocate that education must continue, technology is with us to help us, both digital immigrants and digital natives, in providing accessible, quality, relevant and liberating education.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of weslytayag weslytayag.

Thank you Sir for sharing your insights! I agree with it! This time Digital Technology is very helpful for us to deliver/provide quality education…

Profile photo of cezcruz
    cezcruz
    Participant

Digital Technology has its way of creating vast opportunities, where the possibilities are limitless and it goes beyond borders. It paved the way to tons of information, can move freely from one place to another virtually without the hassle of traffic and even immigration checkpoints. A humongous potential awaits every soul but what makes this technology a bit scary? It’s the foundation on how an individual can decipher the good and not so good side of it. Hence, the learning experience design is really crucial, no matter how good you integrate ICT to your lesson if it does not serve its main purpose or value then it will always be a failure.  As an ALS implementer, it is our obligation, our duty and accountability to educate our learners on the pros and cons and maximize the features while minimizing its risks. Let us continue to explore, do research and think and act outside the box. In the end, we are responsible and accountable to the success and failure of our students…leave no stones unturned.

Thank you ma’am Cecille for sharing your insights… It is absolutely right that teachers really play an important role to maximize the benefits of the Digital Technology… As their EPSAs we need also to assist them on how to ensure it.

Profile photo of jacob5
      jacob5
      Participant

Well, it’s good to note that ideas are flooding in this thread. I learn so much from the insights shared here. I hope that everything that has been said and done in this activity would translate into actions which will positively impact the life of our learners in the ALS. May God bless us all.

weslytayag
    Participant

I agree with you mam cecil cruz, still the learning experience design should be the first to be taken into account, after designing the learning  experience, that the time that digital technology will take part on the teaching and learning process.

Profile photo of roxannebenedicto
    roxannebenedicto
    Participant

Benefits of Digital Technology

ICT in Education:

Digital technology drove us to limitless possibility; Sa dami nga nman po ng kayang gawin at ibigay sa ating ng digital technology, parang wala ng impossible. Sa kabila ng kalagayan ng mundo ngayon dahil sa pandemic, totoong naging ‘necessity’ na- hindi na ‘luxury’ang paggamit ng gadgets at internet; because pandemic opened the door for realization on what ICT can do and give to us.

Digital natives ang mga learners nating nasakop ng digital time- maaring mas marami silang alam sa atin pagdating sa usaping technology;  habang tayong mga guro bilang Digital immigrants na patuloy na tumutuklas at sumasabay sa takbo ng makabagong panahon,  ay may kapantay na responsibilidad para mahubog ang ating mga mga-aaral sa tamang gamit at pagpapahalaga sa paggamit nito, dahil tayo naman ang higit na nakaalam at nakauunawa sa salitang – security.

Ang mga guro ng ALS ay kinakailangang maging innovative – in more reflective and creative manner. Sabi nga ni Miss Maria Melissa Tan-a matter of maximizing ICT will give its best benifit. Hindi kinakailangang mahal at masyadong high end ang gamit natin, dahil wala nga rin nman itong magiging kabuluhan kung hindi nman natin alam i-maximize ang gamit nito para sa atin. Ngunit kung ang gamit ng ICT ay mas nagiging destructive na sa ating pagtuturo, mainam na tanggalin na ito sa learning session- ang paggamit nito ay dapat maging kapakipakinabang sa ‘maximum level’ ng kapakinabangang maibibigay nito sa atin at sa ating mga mag-aaral.

Being one of the the ALS Implementers, we should not be satisfied on what we know and with what we have. We should be a lifelong learners too- dahil ang ICT nga naman ay hindi tumitigil sa pag-unlad, at patuloy pang lalago at titingkad. Maiiwan tayo, kailangan nating maging modelo sa mga mag-aaral– ang sagot sa tanong kung paano? – EXPLORE, EXLORE, EXPLORE at EXPLORE.

Thank you ma’am Roxanne… Either Digital Natives or Digital Immigrants we need to explore and explore….

weslytayag
    Participant

Mam Roxanne, upon reading your comment,, i also realized na tama,, having a gadget is no longer a luxury, new normal made us realized how to use these gadgets for educational purpose and i think it is very effective.. but still according to the guest in the podcast,, Bandwith is still a problem but with the resourcefulness of our ALS teachers,, surely they will still make learning a success.

Profile photo of melvinlazaro
    melvinlazaro
    Participant

In the context of education, digital technology serves as equalizer of the playing field for in-school and ALS learners. In just one click, our ALS learners can have  the information, get connected with internet/others, do tasks  easier, and  even do business thru e-commerce. I believe, maximizing its benefits plus the guidance and assistance of our ALS teachers, we can have ALS learners that are on a par with the learners of formal education system.

Profile photo of engelagunday
    engelagunday
    Participant

Digital technology has several benefits, but let’s not fall prey to it by being so much dependent on it. We must remember that even the simplest application, with proper handling, will still make a difference. Learning will still be engaging and will bring out the best in our learners. We just have to have the appropriate objectives and teaching plan. Enjoy teaching and enjoy technology, nonetheless.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of engelagunday engelagunday.

Absolutely right Sir Engel! I can really relate to your insights because most learners here in our Schools Division do not have the gadgets and resources in terms of Digital Technology. There are locations with no signal and internet connection and most of the teachers do not have the “BEST” or “LATEST” gadgets but this situation makes them innovative and resourceful. They were able to maximize the available resources to make the teaching-learning enjoyable and ensure that learning competencies are met.

Profile photo of lolitamananquil
    lolitamananquil
    Participant

Benefits of Digital Technology. The podcast gives me a more updated informations that will help alleviate my way of introducing lessons relative to digital citizenship. Informations that are unknown to many can be sought through this new platform and I believe learning can be more meaningful and remembered easily specifically to the group of learners who are digitally inclined. With this teachers will benefit to this new innovation.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.