• Online Safety

Profile photo of emilrriodil
    emilrriodil
    Participant

ODOS: Offense plus Defense equals Online Safety

From the podcast on Online Safety, Dr. Queena, the  guest speaker reiterated this to inject to our minds,  the “offense” stance that is to be responsible with our online behavior, and “defense” approach which is to have cyber awareness and discernment to know what is safe and what is not.

In ALS, it is very essential that experiences from our learners on their usage of the internet on the varieties of social media platforms must be encouraged and recognized. Thus, from their experiences, the teacher including but not limited to their classmates asking is it a reputable/reliable site?  Is the content of the site, helpful? Does it contain learner-friendly information? Does it show lawful and relevant facts? If all the answers to this question is Yes, definitely, it is safe! Let us instill in them the true value and importance of safety and security even to the online world and so, let us be proactive enough.

Lastly, may I capture the text coming from the closing message of the podcast that “it is important that individuals become wiser, more aware, more thoughtful, more reflective, and more responsible about the use of ICT”.  Therefore, let us use it safely, responsibly and productively.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of emilrriodil emilrriodil.
  • Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of aprillorraine
    aprillorraine
    Participant

One additional input in Online Safety is the 2-way process- what we do to other people and what other people do to us.  Another is to watch out for people who use social media for their own interest, especially when they victimize children who lack critical thinking. Finally, we should inform our learners to check only refutable sites like  .edu.  Sites such as .com or .org  may promote sexism, violence, or racism.

Profile photo of emilrriodil
    emilrriodil
    Participant

That is right antey. A challenge not only to our learners but to us their teachers as well especially so that we already had some ideas at hand before catching this essential information. And personally speaking, I’ve learned so much, and I am already on fire to roll my learning out to our teachers to be cascaded to their learners. I’m on fire. Ganyan ako kahot antey. hehe

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.